12/17/2011

A bird's eye view

I walked out to the edge of the bluff at the back of my forest by the tall dead tree occupied by my eagle.  Our property drops about 400 feet to a valley straight north of us... With a view like this can you blame the birds for coveting a perch on that tree?
I am standing facing due north, just a few hours drive to the Canadian border.

People usually make the assumption that all of Washington is like the wet coastal areas but the Cascade mountains keep all the moisture on the west side of the state and the rest of Washington is mostly arid and desert. 








Spokane is so unique because it is right on the dividing line of dramatic topographical change.... Directly to the south and west of us is dry land farming and desert.  Directly to the north and east are mountains and forest... We have the choice of either within an hour's drive.  Very few places have that kind of  diversity within a few miles... it is a magical place.

The photo on the left is just south of town in what is called the "palouse country."  Except for the forest I planted, our farm is in the dry land farming area...... wheat, wheat and more wheat...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a magical place to live - thank you so muvh for sharing. It's great to see where other folks live

Suztats said...

What a gorgeous view!

Marilyn said...

Gorgeous view Gerry. Did you see me waving? Probably not, I'm probably further east but I am north :).

Lorraine said...

Looks lovely Gerry!

Cathy said...

Interesting...when I think of wheat I think of Kansas here in the midwest. When I think of Washington I think of mountains and conifers. One of my many nephews went to college somewhere in WA ( or was it OR? )and said it was a dismal place to live. I don't think he went to school anywhere near you! - Cathy L

Susan Elliott said...

What a beautiful spot in the world. I'm glad you explained it too...I've always wondered...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts